AED1.4 billion ‘Gateway’ to the Palm Jumeirah
Dubai developer Nakheel has awarded a construction contract worth nearly AED1.4 billion for The Palm Gateway, a new, three-tower residential, retail and beach club complex at the foot of its flagship master development, Palm Jumeirah.
The Palm Gateway includes 1,265 luxury homes across three high-rise buildings – the tallest topping 285 metres – to be constructed on top of the existing Palm Monorail terminal, which includes 14 levels of parking spaces. Apartments range from one to three bedrooms and will be available on lease.
The”waterfront living and leisure complex, set in extensively landscaped grounds, will also have an abundance of retail, dining and health and fitness facilities, including parks, pools, and sports courts”.
Located at the entrance to Palm Jumeirah, The Palm Gateway will boast “convenient transport links to other parts of the island and to the rest of Dubai”.
According to the press release: “The Palm Monorail, which will remain operational throughout the construction of the project, is already connected to the Dubai Tram and the Dubai Metro, giving residents and visitors easy access to alternatives to the car.”
This is currently not true. The Monorail only stops at the Atlantis, and is therefore not usable for residents. It is also too expensive to be an alternative to a car.
The Palm Gateway will also have its own beach club and park – “a shaded, landscaped complex with a diverse range of waterfront dining and shopping options, pool, barbecue areas and fitness facilities, including a jogging track”.
The Palm Gateway at a glance:
- A trio of towers comprising 1,265 apartments and duplexes for lease
- 5.5 million sq ft gross floor area
- Tubular Tower (285 metres, 59 floors including 44 above podium level); Central Tower (205 metres, 48 floors including 33 above podium); Beach Tower (206 metres, 48 floors including 33 above podium)
- 32 beach-facing apartments and 16 duplex within existing 14-storey Gateway building
- 4,000 parking spaces
- 15th floor landscaped podium deck with pool, sports courts and 8,600 sq ft of retail space
- Beach club with kiosks and restaurants
- Gym, spa, pools, sports courts and jogging track
- Supermarket and food court within podium building
- Palm Monorail onsite, with links to the Dubai Tram and Dubai Metro
- Extensive views of Palm Jumeirah, the Arabian Gulf and the Dubai skyline
Nakheel has appointed Ssangyong Engineering & Construction Co Ltd (Dubai Branch) and China State Construction Engineering Corporation (Middle East) LLC to carry out the work, which is expected to begin in Q1 2016 and take just over two years to complete.
Nakheel is also building The Palm Tower – a 52-storey luxury hotel and residential complex – at the centre of Palm Jumeirah, next to Nakheel Mall. Construction is underway, following the award of a contract worth AED819 million in October last year. The Palm Tower comprises 504 luxury residences, on sale now, and a 289-room hotel, to be operated by Starwood Hotels & Resorts under its luxury St Regis brand.
A very large question looms over impending traffic chaos – one Nakheel has yet to even acknowledge as a possible issue.